Forced to downsize...

Hey guys,

For those unaware, there's going to be an update at the end of the month - regarding the CSGO Panorama UI going live by the end of the month.

With this update, it's cutting out the MOTD! Which means, no more advertising for community servers! Shitty Deal!

I'm going to be forced to downsize the server count! Everything will depend now on donations.

SERVERS AREN'T CHEAP!

I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to be doing yet with the server count, but obviously we have to downsize!

What I'm thinking is...

1 - DM/FFA (US) - Our most popular DM server. 192.223.24.235:27015
2 - Retake (US) - Our most popular Retake server. ???.??.??.??:27015
3 - Retake (EU) < This server is extremely popular. 31.186.250.97:27015
4 - 1V1 Arena - 40 Slot - Our #1 server by far. 162.248.93.9:27015

For those who play in the retake (US) servers - PLEASE POST AND "VOUCH" FOR THE US RETAKE SERVER THAT YOU'D LIKE ME TO KEEP!!! I'M UNDECIDED ON WHICH ONE.

Comments

I haven't really seen the 1v1 Arena server reach it's max that much. It's usually at around ~25-30 at its highest. IMO, 40 slots is just a tad bit much.

I disagree,

Last night, the server was so full that 1. All the arenas wouldnt show, and 2. people were waiting in spectate for an open slot.

You've never seen the 1v1 w/ 40 people? It happens lol it gets really loud the couple times I have been on it when it is full xD.

Also, I'm sure someone will come up with another way to play advertisements at some point lmao.

Advetisement bot like music bots on discord?

Unlikely. With Valve it seems once they make up their mind they stick to it. They probably have a decent reason to remove it. It could be seen as a security exploit as it is a chromium browser window, in theory, it could be hijacked to perform an unwanted action. So from valves side removing it doesn't hurt them but it removed a potential issue for a player.

It's shitty for servers and communities that did nothing really wrong with it but yea. I doubt it'll come back.

No comments regarding which Retake server to keep??? Hmmm... lol...

I don't play a lot of retake xD

Understandable changes. I'm happy as long as there's at least one NA retake on the East Coast.

All about the 1v1 servers (West Coast)

I play retakes the most, there is really no retake server that is the most popular. I think there should be more than one server however. 2 servers would be perfect to be honest. I can't really tell you which retake server is the most popular. Since we have so many I always see around 4-5 completely full.

I play retakes the most, there is really no retake server that is the most popular. I think there should be more than one server however. 2 servers would be perfect to be honest. I can't really tell you which retake server is the most popular. Since we have so many I always see around 4-5 completely full.
It all comes down to $$$.. the 4 servers are going to cost just under $100 USD per month as it is...

Retake #7 70.42.74.130:27015 is one of our most popular retakes.

Im in and retake 7 seems to be the most popular to me as well.

I'm all in for #8 because that is the retake that I play most on and also the only retake that I get under 80 ping on. Just my preference though. 😁

There’s going to be about 5 servers closing within the next week!! Just a heads up guys..

Because Valve isn't making money off those advertisements that's why they are removing the MOTD's. I would also like to say that I have seen the 1v1 servers fill up quite a few times. Although we have several 1v1 servers I would still like to keep 2 of the 1v1 servers so that if one fills up we can still have access to another to play on.

@PandaWubs It all depends on how much the community is willing to support the servers to keep them running. If we kept two of every server in every location that someone wanted we would have the same number if not more servers than we do now. So I feel like he will only keep 1 1v1 as 1 full all the time is better than one full all the time and the other empty or half full. Nothing says down the road if the community is supporting the servers and people play them that he couldn't turn on another server of any kind.

Because Valve isn't making money off those advertisements that's why they are removing the MOTD's. I would also like to say that I have seen the 1v1 servers fill up quite a few times. Although we have several 1v1 servers I would still like to keep 2 of the 1v1 servers so that if one fills up we can still have access to another to play on.
@PandaWubs It all depends on how much the community is willing to support the servers to keep them running. If we kept two of every server in every location that someone wanted we would have the same number if not more servers than we do now. So I feel like he will only keep 1 1v1 as 1 full all the time is better than one full all the time and the other empty or half full. Nothing says down the road if the community is supporting the servers and people play them that he couldn't turn on another server of any kind.
Kenny nailed it.

With only having 1, I'm sure hoping that those servers are going to be full most of the time. Anything else will be a fail in my opinion. We can sell more reserved slots on a constantly full server vs a server that never fully fills up?... I'm only keeping 1 server per mod for that reason.. (other than the German Retake - that server goes on period of 3+ days straight with a full house)

Kenny nailed it.

With only having 1, I'm sure hoping that those servers are going to be full most of the time. Anything else will be a fail in my opinion. We can sell more reserved slots on a constantly full server vs a server that never fully fills up?... I'm only keeping 1 server per mod for that reason.. (other than the German Retake - that server goes on period of 3+ days straight with a full house)
Understandable. I will try my best to contribute to the server in helping paying for the upkeep

I personally recommend Retake #8. My only reason is location. It gives the most amount of players playable ping. I'm also saying this because I'm selfish and on the West coast, so I don't really like that 99% of our retakes are East.

do what ya gotta do, sadly i cannot donate

Yeah it all adds up.. We were paying 250 a month at the Data Center we had so we decided to pull our hardware and bring it home after purchasing business class fiber for the home. Its not perfect but it at least guarantees a better up time and connection hopefully. I wonder how the other communities will deal with this issue in the future? If valve was thinking they would implement an ad system and give a cut back to the communities for hosting.. This will never happen but I think it would build the community stronger and rezilient to some of the other games out there. I suppose in the end there is cheap vps providers like linode out there although bandwidth might become an issue once you start downloading hundreds of demos that sort of thing. I image you all keep all your demos for 90 days like other outfits do. Anyway just my thoughts its not worth much but it is what it is..

Our servers don't actually record demos and our admins are only required to keep 30 days of evidence.

I have found that the game servers themselves don't use a lot of bandwidth its the downloads of assets (models, trails, etc), we use a FastDL server so that all is offloaded. The real issue is the size of servers we run use more space than the inexpensive VPS provide. Between the slot count and numbers of plugins, the required VPS becomes not very inexpensive. In addition to that, the number of different regions we covered wouldn't be fun to handle with VPS hosting. Untitled also is not a system administrator by any means and enjoys having the easy setup and interaction with the game servers that a hosting service provides him.

Also, I doubt Valve will do any of that lol

Vouch for this retake server

dmffa5.game.nfoservers.com:27015

East coast players get good ping, and its mostly away's full, 24/7 (not a joke).