Common Network Troubleshooting tips for connection issues! Post 1

Who has read this thread (Total: 0) View details

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Credits
Ok I have decided to start this thread because this is an issue that often times frustrates gamers and other players when trying to play in servers. Sometimes you can find local issues with your internal network that you as a gamer can fix.

Common Examples of issues:

1. Wifi Router setup on the same frequency of a neighboring wifi
2. Network cables don't last forever occasionally you will find latency inside a network cable.
3. Outside interference.. This involves grounding and shielding devices that might be sensitive to this activity.
4. Nic Cards.. Yeah you can have a new motherboard and the nic card could be trash it's happened to me several times.
5. Router firmware issues. Occasionally Routers can have firmware issues and cause higher then expected latency on your systems.

There are many more causes that could cause higher then expected ping times or issues connecting up to servers.

Now we move onward towards DNS and why it is important.

So when you connect to let's say for example: http://dmfrenzy.com It sends this request on out to your dns server which then provides the ip for you to connect to the server.. This is important because otherwise you would never see the site and the routers wouldn't know where to send you when you type in the domain name. So with a little research not difficult to do. When you request in the web browser to visit Dmfrenzy.com you are being redirected to this ip: 72.5.53.11 where the web server/s then looks to see what site you requested and spits out the proper page you are trying to visit. Some providers could have one web server others could have millions and multiple internal layers for the routing and traffic to go. This conversation then gets into Horizontal Data Center Management which i don't want to get into here.. Just trying to show the examples so..
Here is a traceroute from my home to the website server.
myhouse to dmfrenzy site.png

Now let's take a closer look at this. 192.168.9.1 is my router it handles multiple lan connections internally and has its own dns server which we use in order to connect to the servers on different ip segments internally. The 157.185.79.33 is our internet Gateway basically our internet is connected through this connection and in our case is located back either at there dmarc or in there data centers. In our case i think it's located in there data center end.

myhouse to dmfrenzy site 2.png
What you are seeing above is called a traceroute which exposes the steps in between you and where your trying to connect up to. In this example i was doing a traceroute to DMfrenzy.com which reveals the path that the routers are taking me in order to connect up to this web server to type of this demonstration.

The command to do this in Command prompt is: tracert (Then the ip or domain without brackets in Windows)

The command in linux is: traceroute (Then the ip or domain name)

Now let's dig a bit deeper let's say that you are experiencing issues and your at college maybe on a large network system it is possible for you to bypass there dns sometimes providing they don't have it locked down. To another dns provider like google: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Here below are the steps to accomplish this in the event you need to do this in Windows 10

network settings 1.png

Open up Network & Internet Settings.

network settings 2.png

Open up Network and Sharing Center

network settings 3.png
Select the network interface which is right for you in my case its Network 6 Ethernet 5

network settings 4.png
First let's take a look at the current details and what dns your using and connecting to.. It's a good idea to write down the dns ip that you see in this box in the event you need to switch back to it for whatever reason.

network settings 5.png
Again writing down the dns information is important just keep it just in case you need to switch back.
Now you can just close out of this it.

network settings 6.png
Lets go to Properties.

network settings 7.png

Highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)

Then click on Properties.

network settings 8.png

Next you can select your dns information here an example would be.
Preferred DNS server: 8.8.8.8
Alternative DNS server: 8.8.4.4

Then click ok.
You can then go back to the details screen and insure the changes changed..

The next step you need to do is flush your dns by command prompt in administrator mode.
The command for that is: ipconfig /flushdns

Sorry I can't do a screenshot for that i am only limited to 10 images.. But this should help you and you can get the idea..

Posted Continued Click Here

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom